The Watchdog

Keeping citizens in the loop

“Flotilla protests deep-sea drilling off East Cape” NZ Herald article 28 March 2011

28 March 2011

Seen this?

Cheers!

Penny

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10715342

Flotilla protests deep-sea drilling off East Cape

By Yvonne Tahana

5:30 AM Monday Mar 28, 2011
'Vega' skipper Daniel Mares says the decision to allow oil exploration of the Raukumara Basin is short-sighted. Photo / Dean Purcell 

 

‘Vega’ skipper Daniel Mares says the decision to allow oil exploration of the Raukumara Basin is short-sighted. Photo / Dean Purcell

A flotilla of boats, including a former anti-nuclear warhorse, left Auckland yesterday to protest against deep sea oil activities of Brazilian multinational Petrobras.

The New Zealand Government granted Petrobras an exploratory licence last year for the Raukumara Basin which lies off East Cape/Cape Runway. Groups such as the Nuclear-Free Flotilla, Forest & Bird, 350 Aotearoa and Te Whanau a Apanui, expect seismic surveying to begin shortly.

A couple of hundred wellwishers waved off nine boats which will make their way down the coast by next Saturday, including the Vega from Princes Wharf.

Once owned by Greenpeace, the 12m Kauri ketch was boarded and detained by the French when it led protests against nuclear testing at Mururoa in the 1980s.

Daniel Mares, captain of Vega, said it was fitting one of the dames of environmentalism was getting a run in her own backyard about an issue he said was massively important.

“It’s a short-sighted decision [to allow exploration to occur] and for what? The last drops of oil?”

Greenpeace climate spokesman Steve Abel said BP’s Gulf of Mexico disaster showed the risk of deep sea oil drilling.

“A drastic spill would cost the New Zealand economy billions, and do enormous damage to our tourism and fishing industries, and our international reputation,” Mr Abel said.

Peter Williams, QC, told the crowd foreign companies shouldn’t be allowed to come here and “steal our oil”.

Energy & Resources acting minister Hekia Parata said there was “scaremongering” going on that seismic monitoring could cause earthquakes. That “completely irresponsible” claim was made by anti-drilling group Te Ahi Kaa.

“There’s no scientific evidence and it’s wrong to be frightening people with that, ” she said.

By Yvonne Tahana | Email Yvonne

Be part of the news. Send pics, video and tips to nzherald.Send 

Advertisements

March 27, 2011 - Posted by | Fighting corruption in NZ, Human rights

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: